Learn how to edit dashboards, move blocks, and build out custom visualizations.
Start by selecting the "add" icon next to boards in your account navigation.
A new, untitled board will be created.
From the board options menu, select "Edit" to bring the board into edit mode. Now you're ready to get building.
Navigating the block and metric browser
From edit mode you should notice a horizontal dropdown menu across the top of your screen. This is the block and metric browser.
Anytime you work with blocks or metrics in Malartu you will interface with the block and metric browser. This is a simple organizational tool that sorts blocks and metrics (ie your data) by type.
The block browser contains a number of elements:
- Templates: If you have previously selected Template Blocks or Smart Metrics from the template library, they will display here. If you have no selected templates, this option will link you to the template library.
- Data: Select this to drill into the data browser. Once you have selected a metric from the data browser it will add this metric to a table block on your board.
- Table: Select table to add a blank table to your board. Once the table is added, you can then select metrics to add to the table via the data browser.
- Sheet: Think of Sheets as blank spreadsheets where each cell can be assigned a data point. Sheets have a customizable number of rows or columns and allow you to view any organization of metrics in a single time period.
- Text: Select Text to place a text box on the dashboard. Text within this box can be formatted or transformed from the text options in your right-side menu.
Select the block you'd like to begin working with. Now you will see the block browser change to its next page, the metric browser.
Navigating the metric browser
Anytime you work with data, from adding metrics to blocks, to mapping data points in the document reader, you will navigate this data from the metric browser.
In the above example, you would find this browser by:
- Selecting "Data" after you have launched the block browser
- Adding an empty table
- Editing an empty cell in a sheet
The first page of the data browser contains the following elements:
- By Data Source: Select this option to browse by data sources you have connected to this account
- Custom Metric: Select this to navigate to all custom metrics built in this account. If you have no created a custom metric, you can also build one here.
- User Defined Metric: Select this to navigate to all user defined metrics. User defined metrics are created custom by users and often describe data uploaded manually via the document reader.
- Grouping: Select this to navigate to any metric groupings you have created. Learn more about metric groupings here.
- Clients [Advisor accounts only]: For advisors, select this option to decide which client's data set to work with. After selecting the client, you will see all the options from the screenshot above.
Now that you've added a block to your board, it's time to learn about customizing blocks.
Next article: How to customize a block